Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Week 2



Craft: As I was walking around China Town and I looked up and noticed all of the dragon figures on top of the lap posts, connected to the light posts.  So, I squatted down, angled my camera upwards and took a picture of this light post.  Aiming my camera up at the light post also gave me the opportunity to get good lighting, and a good angle so that I could capture all the pieces of the lamp post that I wanted.


Concept: The concept behind my picture is that the lamp post not only has two street signs on it, Wentworth Ave. and 23rd Pl., it also has a dedication to Dr. Sun Yat Sen.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen is very culturally significant for China Town (See Composition.)


Composition: I wanted both street signs in the picture so that one would be able to locate this dedication to Dr. Sun Yat Sen, as well as the light fixture with the dragon on top of it.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen was part of the Chinese Revolutionary as well as an influential political leader.  Dr. Sun Yat Sen was referred to as the "Father of the Nation."  In addition to having an honorary street dedicated to Dr. Sun Yat Sen, this lamp post also had a "pedestrian crossing" sign which, if you have ever been to China Town, is very true . The streets of China Town are always jam packed with people, regardless of the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment